[Idle-dev] IDLE3.0a1 problems

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 14:32:02 CEST 2007

On 9/11/07, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> A few problems with IDLE 3.0a1 on WindowsXP:
>
> - saving any file ends the program, without writing to that file at all
> - using the build-in 'help' (which calls pydoc itself): the stdout is
> not always displayed inside the IDLE window but pops-up a 'cmd' window
> which lets you page through the descriptions.
>
> Could you confirm this for other systems too ?
>
> Michael

Both confirmed: WinXP SP2, Python 3.0a1, IDLE 3.0a1

The saving bug is a string/bytes issue, simply fixed by replaced line
366 in IOBinding.py with:
chars = chars.replace(b"\n", self.eol_convention.encode('ASCII'))

I'll send a patch for this ASAP.

I haven't had time to look into the help issue yet.

- Tal