[Idle-dev] Options -> Configure IDLE -> Highlighting in Idle 1.2.1

Jeremy Nicoll - idle jn.ml.idle.07 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Nov 19 15:25:00 CET 2007

"Tal Einat" <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:

... lots - thanks for this.

> Sorry, no nicely packaged beta versions. You can get the latest
> version of IDLE by checking out just the contents of the idlelib
> directory from the SVN (python\trunk\Lib\idlelib\) and placing it
> inside your Python's Lib\idlelib directory. If you've ever worked with
> CVS/SVN this should be simple enough.

I'm afraid I'm more a Panvalet and SMP/E man. I understand the theory of
what CVS, SVN etc do, buthave never set up or used either of them, so...

> Otherwise, I can prepare a zip file for you - again, installation is just
> replacing the contents of the Lib\idlelib directory.

If you could, that'd be great.

> > I did have a quick browse of Python25\Lib\idlelib ...
> >
> > Is all the code for IDLE here?
>
> Yes.

I realise that tracing it would slow IDLE down a lot, but maybe I'd learn a
lot that way too.  /Is/ there some way I can get a step-by-step trace of
some or all of the code there?