[Idle-dev] Options -> Configure IDLE -> Highlighting in Idle 1.2.1

Jeremy Nicoll - idle jn.ml.idle.07 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Nov 19 03:12:05 CET 2007

"Tal Einat" <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeremy Nicoll wrote:

> >  But in the file editing window the cursor never shows up in yellow.
> > Experiments suggest that the cursor is ALWAYS displayed in black (fg) on
> > whatever background colour applies.
>
> Try changing this setting, then close and restart IDLE.

A-ha! That worked.

(Of course since all the others were instant changes I never thought of
trying this, also with each failed set of experimental custom setups I
always reverted to the standard one at the end of each set of experiments so
a close & restart didn't have any effect.)

> > Is this a bug, or what?
>
> This is a known bug which has been fixed in SVN.

Does this mean I have to wait for the next formal release for that fix (not
that it matters with that simple workaround), or are there betas as well?

If there are betas is there a list somewhere of what's different in them
compared to 1.2.1?  As I'm just getting started with Python & IDLE maybe I
might as well use a beta and take advantage of whatever extra facilities it
offers?

I did have a quick browse of Python25\Lib\idlelib ...

Is all the code for IDLE here?  I see that most files exist in .py and .pyc
forms; presumably IDLE uses the (faster?) .pyc ones so if I made any
experimental changes in the .py ones I'd need then to compile them to .pyc
equivalents? Would they then be picked up immediately, or after close &
restart of IDLE, or not at all - maybe there's some other action required?

Where (under Windows XP) does IDLE store configurations?

> Still, thanks for taking the time to report this! Please do tell us
> about any other issues you run in to.
>
> - Tal

I certainly shall!  Thank-you for your help.