[Idle-dev] Mac OS X implementation problem

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Fri May 25 18:31:24 CEST 2007

On 5/25/07, Denis Lorrain <denis.lorrain at cnsmd-lyon.fr> wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
>    An implementation problem has appeared on my Mac PowerBook G4
> with French Mac OS X 10.4.9. I have used Python IDLE.app, and,
> since then, my MCL 5.1 (Macintosh Common LISP) environment is
> not functioning properly.
>    I'm not a sophisticated user of Python, and used to open
> PythonIDE for my ordinary limited usage. In fact, I've launched
> IDLE.app rather inadvertently!
>
> Symptoms:
> - a double click on the MCL 5.1 icon launches the Macintosh
>   Script Editor, which protests not finding a dictionary, and then
>   opens a gibberish window bearing the MCL 5.1 name and icon
>   (cf. attached file ScriptEd.jpg)
> - a <ctrl>-click on the MCL 5.1 application shows it is set to be
>   opened by IDLE.app by default! However, it launches the Script
>   Editor

[snip]

This is very strange. IDLE doesn't do anything sophisticated to a user's
environment AFAIK. And running it certainly doesn't change file
associations. Perhaps this is something with the OSX Python installer? Or an
OSX bug?

IDLE only uses a few files which are specific to idle, and saved under an
.idlerc directory, which is created when IDLE is first run. Perhaps the
creation of this directory somehow corrupted something, but I fail to
imagine how this could be.

I don't use Mac though, so I can't really help you out...

- Tal