[Idle-dev] IDLE suggestions

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 01:36:49 CET 2007

On 2/8/07, BBands <bbands at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, in reply to Tal's replies:
>
> I have had trouble with cut and paste to the shell where I wanted to
> paste a function or multiple lines. If your paste code idea allows
> that, it will be good for me. (I don't use tabs in Python.)

See initial implementation in separate mail :D

Instead of projects might save/restore a workspace be an idea?

That's an nice idea, sounds good to me.

As for paren matching, as of Python 2.5, IDLE 1.2 it is not working as
> I would expect on xp. For example, I would expect the pair of
> parens/brackets to change color when the cursor hits one. Right now
> the first one or two of panen completions get greyed, after that
> nothing else happens though ctrl-0 works. If you let me know how it is
> intended to work I'll test it and post a field report.

Well, sounds like it's working just fine. Currently IDLE doesn't flash
matching parens every time the cursor hits one. I've seen other IDEs do
this, and it is somewhat useful, mostly to catch unbalanced parens early.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this - which behavior is preferred? Having
matching parens highlight whenever the cursor is on one, or only when typed
or Ctrl-<zero> is hit?