[Idle-dev] Running with subprocesses?

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 00:31:32 CEST 2007

On 8/17/07, Douglas S. Blank <dblank at brynmawr.edu> wrote:
> [Sorry for the barrage of questions... a new semester starting soon... :(]
>
> It would be nice if an extension, or even a general running program,
> could look somewhere to see if IDLE is running with subprocesses.
> Something like PyShell.using_subprocess = 0. Is there a hack that would
> currently work to tell?

You can check flist.pyshell.interp.rpcclt. The debugging code in
PyShell.py checks that it is not None. The extra-safe version (used in
AutoComplete.py) is:

try:
    rpcclt = self.editwin.flist.pyshell.interp.rpcclt
except:
    rpcclt = None
if rpcclt:
    <with process>
else:
    <without subprocess>

This would be a nice addition to PyShell (or perhaps flist?). I'll add
this to my to-do list.

- Tal