[Idle-dev] An idea and a bug

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:19:46 CEST 2007

On 8/7/07, Jameson Chema Quinn <jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu> wrote:
> I'm hacking at my own version of IDLE to try to implement language support
> in Python. I found a bug.
>
> 1. The bug.
> I'm using IDLE to work on a copy of IDLE in my home directory. I copy the
> idlelib directory to ~/jqidlelib , add "jq" to lines 2 and 22 of idle.py,
> open it in IDLE, and start hacking on the other files. If a hacked version
> of some other module is not open in IDLE and I press F5 to run idle.py, I
> get the desired behaviour (the modules are loaded from my hacked copies) but
> the error display is wacky. Errors refer to the line numbers of my hacked
> versions, but they give the path and code snippets from the actual IDLE
> directory.

If you do a directory-wide search for 'idlelib' you'll find that it is
mentioned in PyShell.py as well. I haven't tried this myself, so
please inform us whether or not this works :)

> 2. My idea
> [snip]

Awesome! I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have regarding
IDLE's internals.

An early pointer: IDLE doesn't currently allow unicode input, so
you'll have to rework that bit if you want unicode input support.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on developments,
- Tal