[Idle-dev] A possible bug in IDLE 1.2b2

Sourav Datta soura_jagat at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 09:27:47 CEST 2006

  The IDLE that comes with Python 1.5 beta has a problem. While the Alt+p retrieves the previous command issued to the prompt, there was another way to do that in IDLE v1.1.2 that came with Python 2.4. If I just clicked on a previous command and hit ENTER, the command would appear again in the new prompt. As follows,

  IDLE 1.1.2
  >>> def hello(name):
              if name=='me':
                          print 'Hello you!'
              else:
                          print 'Hello '+name

  >>> hello('James')
  Hello James

  Now clicking on the line hello(
) and hitting ENTER, we get the following again.
  >>> def hello(name):
              if name=='me':
                          print 'Hello you!'
              else:
                          print 'Hello '+name

  But with the new IDLE it is not so. Doing the same would yield the following,

  IDLE 1.2b2
  >>> def hello(name):
              if name=='me':
                          print 'Hello you'
              else:
                          print 'Hello '+name

  >>> hello('me')
  Hello you

  Now, again clicking on hello(...) definition line and hitting ENTER, we get the following
  >>> def hello(name):
              if name=='me':
                          print 'Hello you'
                          else: