[Idle-dev] IDLE improvements

Jason Doucette jason at jasondoucette.com
Tue Oct 11 21:48:38 CEST 2005

Kurt,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

> If you have identified actual bugs, please post them to the
> Sourceforge Python Bug Tracker.  If you have patches, post to the
> Python Patch Tracker.  Set the Category to IDLE.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/python/
>
> That way they will not get lost, and there is a relatively orderly
> process to respond to them.

Ok, great.  Are UI issues are considered bugs?  I believe so, as Franz
Steinhäusler mentioned that Shift+Tab does not dedent as expected.  I have
found many similar bugs -- some of them I believe to be more important than
broken functionality bugs, since they are that disruptive to usability /
productivity.

> This list is appropriate for general discussion of issues related to
> IDLE development.
>
> The order of IDLE development priority is:
>
> 0. critical bugs
> 1. patches for bugs
> 2. important bugs submitted w/o patches.
> 3. patches for new functionality
>
> Then requests for enhancement (RFE, use Sourceforge), 'normal' bugs
> without patches, and the developer's personal interests are worked on
> in some random fashion.
>
> Please review the archives to get a feel for IDLE's design goals:
>
> * Stability is more important than features.
>
> * Keep the surprise factor low.
>
> * Simple interface: usable by children as well as professionals.
>
> * (But satisfy 98% of professional needs for writing pure Python code)

The above two points would 'OK' the request to submit broken UI
functionality.  My guess is that the interface should be simple and
intuitive, and be robust enough for professionals to not be frustrated with
any quirks.  Correct?

Do I submit the bugs directly to the bug tracking database, or should I
discuss them here first?

> * Enhancement via IDLE's extension mechanism.
>
> * Avoid creeping features.
>

> Also, please don't feel, as some apparently do, that you should get
> an answer for every comment you make, or feel badly when you don't.
> Lack of response doesn't imply a lack of interest in your remarks,
> just a shortage of time to discuss all of them.  We're all volunteers.
>
> The truism is, "The more you yack, the less you hack."
>
> Anyway, welcome to the list!

Thank you very much!  I appreciate the time you've taken to be very explicit
in your response.

Take care,

--
Jason Doucette / Xona.com