[Idle-dev] module won't run in IDLE: puzzling traceback

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sun Jun 12 22:18:06 CEST 2005

Kurt B. Kaiser said unto the world upon 06/06/2005 14:33:
> Brian van den Broek <bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca> writes:
>

>>I'm a hobbyist who posts mostly to Tutor; I'm doing my level best to
>>handle this "right". Apologies for any mis-steps. I have googled the
>>web and searched the gmane archive of this list for the terms
>>asyncqueue and putmessage but did not come up with anything that I
>>recognized as relevant.
>

> Thanks!  You're definitely on the right track!
>

>>The problem:
>>
>>I have a module which, when I run it with IDLE 1.1.1 produces the
>>following traceback:
>>
>>IDLE 1.1.1
>>================================
>> >>>
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "C:\PYTHON24\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 233, in asyncqueue
>>     self.putmessage((seq, request))
>>   File "C:\PYTHON24\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 333, in putmessage
>>     raise IOError
>>IOError

<snip further details of my problem and several suggestions from Kurt>

Hi Kurt and all,

thanks for the reply, Kurt, and apologies for the delay in my response.

The day before you posted, my laptop (and sole computer) up and died.
So, I was off-line until I got the replacement yesterday. Cursory
efforts to reproduce the problem on the new WinXP box have not
succeeded (though, in context, failure is success ;-)

My thesis is due at the end of August, and the recent lack of a
computer through a bit of a wrench in my schedule! So, at the moment,
the cursory attempts will have to do. When I've time to breath, I will
put a sustained effort into an attempt to reproduce the problem, and
post back if I can do so.

Thanks again for your efforts. Best,

Brian vdB