[Idle-dev] (no subject)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Sep 10 19:42:30 EDT 2003

> I am trying to include Python/IDLE in an image which is deployed to
> student lab computers via Rembo. On installation it is OK, but after
> the image is created and deployed to another box, IDLE no longer
> runs ( Python is OK ). The Tcl and Tk dlls are all present in the
> same folders, everything looks the same, but execution fails without
> an error message.

I'm going to assume that Rembo is some tool for duplicating distros?

> Has anyone seen this problem?

No, but I have a suggestion for how to debug it.  What's probably
happening is that some exception happens, but there's no stderr stream
and the error is discarded.  This is because the Start menu item (or
Icon, or whatever you use) for IDLE is invoking pythonw.exe, which
doesn't create a DOS box for the stdout/err streams.

Try this: manually start a DOS box, cd into \Python23 (assuming you're
using Python 2.3 -- you really should :-) and type this:

python.exe Lib\idlelib\idle.py

That should show you some error messages.  (If this starts IDLE
without problems, you have another issue -- I don't know how to debug
that, though looking into the Properties tab for the IDLE icon or
start menu entry would be a good start.)

Good luck!