[Idle-dev] Windows Helpfiles

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk@shore.net
06 Jan 2003 11:08:29 -0500

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> > Is pythlp.chm still a useful file?  I don't see
> > it in the Python 2.2 distribution for Windows.
> >
> > Ref. /Python/ SF 540583 Patch hfoffani
>
> pythlp.chm is a 3rd party add-on; it was never distributed as part of
> Python for Windows, and probably never will (keeping it up to date
> proved too much of a hassle).  But as long as it is available as a 3rd
> party add-on, I see no reason why IDLE couldn't look for it and add a
> help item for it if it exists.

OK, then we have two choices: leave it hardwired in EditorWindow or
let the user use the Extra Help facility to add it.

Right now, if it is found it will be used instead of the standard Python
html help even if the latter exists locally.

Third possiblility, change the search order to look for pythlp.chm last.

My inclination? Let the user add it to Extra Help.

--
KBK