[Idle-dev] RE: Windows Helpfiles

Hernan Martinez Foffani hernan@orgmf.com.ar
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:18:02 +0100

[Kurt B. Kaiser]
> Is pythlp.chm still a useful file?  I don't see
> it in the Python 2.2 distribution for Windows.
>
> Ref. /Python/ SF 540583 Patch hfoffani

I used to provide it myself.  You can get it here:
http://www.orgmf.com.ar/condor/pytstuff.html
It let you make full text search, that's why it has
a big set of supporters, specially newbies.

Some time ago there were a discussion in python-dev
to include that file in the standard distribution.
It was aknowledged of the advantanges to do so but
also no deep studies were done at that moment.
I even understand myself now that there are reasons
for NOT to do it.

Actually it's not in the Python 2.3 alfa.

About that patch... Given the new user configurable
Help menu, I don't know if it is worth it.
On older versions of IDLE it was required knowledge
of Python beyond the apprentice to change the
default help system.  But on the last IDLE alfa
everyone can do it.  Would it work for .chm files? ;-)

Regards,
-Hernan