[Idle-dev] preserving newline representation in source files

Andrew Koenig ark@research.att.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:09:05 -0500 (EST)

Working in a mixed Unix/Windows environment, I note that whenever I
push a python source file from my Unix machine to my Windows machine,
use Idle to modify it on the Windows machine, and then push it back to
the Unix machine, it now has the Windows newline representation.

This behavior is entirely plausible and straightforward, but there is
an alternative treatment, which emacs uses, that I think is more
useful: When emacs reads a file, it remembers the newline convention
that the file uses, and preserves that convention when it writes the
file back.

I wonder -- has anyone considered such behavior for a future Idle version?

--
Andrew Koenig, ark@research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark