[Idle-dev] IDLE and Mac OS X

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk@shore.net
12 Sep 2002 15:30:06 -0400

Tony Lownds <tony@lownds.com> writes:

> I've been silent until now but am starting to make patches for IDLE's
> smooth operation in OS X
>
> There are some installation and keyboard and Tk issues. I have a patch
> (606132, python.sf.net) that improves IDLE on OS X; Kurt or Guido,
> should I re-do all patches against idlefork too? What kind of
> synchronization is going to happen?

It's one of Idle's goals to be as crossplatform as possible.  So your
contribution is most welcome.  Macs are a weak point for Idle.

However, as they say, there is a slight difficulty :-(

You have made modifications based on the old configuration system.
The new one in Idlefork is a different approach, and most of the files
in your patch no longer exist.

If you can summon up the energy to revise it to use Stephen's
implementation, that would be outstanding!

I don't have the ability to test on Mac.  As loewis said, it would be
good if you could come up with another person to test the code.  Maybe
if there is someone on the list who uses OS X they could speak up?

If you decide to go ahead, either check out the DS_RPC_BRANCH (where
Stephen stripped the dead code), or wait a couple of days for me
to merge with MAIN.

The checkout of DS_RPC is

cd to ~/proj/sandbox  [or any nice place you have :]

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.idlefork.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/idlefork login

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.idlefork.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/idlefork co -didlefork -rDS_RPC_BRANCH idle

Thanks, KBK