[Idle-dev] Re: [Tutor] Help concerning raw_input urgently needed!

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:26:08 -0500

[Magnus Lycka]

> PyCrust is a beginning.

Thanks for the plug and the opportunity to jump in here and mention that
PyCrust has several non-English users who have helped me make PyCrust
international language friendly. The PyCrust that is currently in CVS, and
that will ship with the next release of wxPython (version 2.3.3), does
support your original example:

Welcome To PyCrust 0.7.2 - The Flakiest Python Shell
Sponsored by Orbtech - Your source for Python programming expertise.
Python 2.2.1 (#34, Apr  9 2002, 19:34:33) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Startup script executed: C:\Code\.pythonrc.py
>>> a = raw_input("Hä? ")
Hä? Tschüs
>>> a
'Tsch\xfcs'
>>> print a
Tschüs

Also, I did *not* need to create a sitecustomize.py file for this to work.
That said, IDLE is still getting worked on and hopefully this issue will be
addressed.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Web:  http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien/