[Idle-dev] Anticipated changes for Mac OS X

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:44:05 -0500

> Guido, if you want I can merge from idlefork back into python.
> If you want me to do this, what would you like me to do?
> Here's my likely approach:
>
>   * test idlefork
>   * review diffs between idlefork and python
>     (just to make sure nothing gets clobbered)
>   * merge into python
>   * test merge
>   * commit to python

I think that it's simpler than that.  We've tried to hold off on
changes to Python's IDLE and AFAIK all the recent changes there have
been applied to IDLEFORK already.  You might want to review the recent
Python IDLE CVS logs (last half year or so) to make sure that they've
been applied to IDLEFORK.  Comparing diffs is probably not worth it,
since so much has changed in IDLEFORK.

I think we should wait until Kurt is ready for his beta release before
we do this, though.

> I've never really used idle, so don't expect great testing from me.

Maybe you can give it a try.  It would be cool if it could optionally
apply PyChecker to a module.  There's a "Check" menu entry already;
currently it just does a syntax check and a tabnanny check.