[Idle-dev] tabs in a tk Text widget

Stephen M. Gava elguavas@users.sourceforge.net
01 Mar 2002 11:45:52 +1100

The following comment is in idle in Autoindent.py:

# CAUTION:  telling Tk to use anything other than its default
# tab setting causes it to use an entirely different tabbing algorithm,
# treating tab stops as fixed distances from the left margin.
# Nobody expects this, so for now tabwidth should never be changed.

and this line too:

tabwidth = 8    # for IDLE use, must remain 8 until Tk is fixed

also, st the top of EditorWindow.py is this line:

TK_TABWIDTH_DEFAULT = 8  .

Does anyone reading this list know if this is stil a problem in Tk? If
it is I will remove the stuff from configDialog.py where I was going to
allow the user to specify a default tab width.

(Varying the number of spaces for indenting by space is still fine of
course, and will still be configurable.)

Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava  <elguavas@users.sourceforge.net>
IDLEfork ( http://idlefork.sourceforge.net )  " just like IDLE, only