[Idle-dev] Slow close?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:18:32 -0500

Stephen M. Gava writes:
 > I agree that this is unnerving, at the very least it looks sloppy, but
 > it happens for me with all idle versions. I just checked running
 > idlefork-0.7.1 (before the config. system changes), and then with python
 > official idle as distributed with python2.2 and with python2.1, and in
 > all cases I get this lengthy 'pregnant pause' on closing idle windows. I
 > always assumed it was something to do with the code that unloads and
 > frees all the extensions whenever a window instance is destroyed.

I remember something very similar with Grail; closing a browser window
came to take so long it appeared to have died.  Eventually I added a
call to withdraw() for the top-level window, and that made the window
disappear from the display immediately.  Of course, there was still a
lot of object destruction going on, so any windows which remained open
were non-responsive, or if it was the last window, control was not
returned to the console.  This could still be a little unnerving.  ;-(

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation