[Idle-dev] Re: keybindings

Martin Armstrong martin@tactilis.co.uk
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:24:51 +0000

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, at 14:09:45, Kurt B. Kaiser <kbk@shore.net> wrote:

>Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:
>
>> Note though that Alt-F2 is not the normal zoom (which does whatever
>> the window manager does by default).  It is a special operation that
>> keeps the width of the window default (normally 80 columns) but makes
>> it maximal vertically.  This is useful to get an overview of a larger
>> piece of code.  (I have no use for code wider than 80 columns. :-)

>Right.
>
>I have not been able to take the time to figure out how to get Tk to
>return the coordinates of the area inside the docked panels.
>
>top.winfo_screenheight() doesn't seem to be the right thing to use as it
>is the full height of the screen.
>
>Stephen appears to have his button panel at the top, and set the height to
>accomodate that, while I have mine at the bottom and so have locally
>modified my ZoomHeight.py as follows:
>
>      else:
>!         #newy = 24
>!         newy = 0
>!         #newheight = newheight - 96
>!         newheight = newheight - 88
>
>Anybody know how to do this correctly?

No, not here :(

The same problem afflicts Windows users if you have the Taskbar set to
be always displayed (i.e. autohide switched off).

When I zoom Idle's window the bottom sits underneath the Taskbar so I
can't see the status line.

Even worse, if I rotate the mouse wheel when part of Idle's window is
underneath the Taskbar, instead of scrolling the window contents it
causes a switch (like Alt TAB does) to another window!

I get around this by editing ZoomHeight.py, but it's not ideal.

>How does Alt-H sound for Zoom across the three platforms?

+1 here
--
Martin Armstrong                        <mailto:martin@tactilis.co.uk>