[Idle-dev] Re: keybindings

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:59:55 -0500

> Using function keys is especially bad on PowerBooks that don't have
> separate brightness/contrast/etc controls (everything but Wall
> Street/PDQ).  A few monthe ago when I was looking at implementing this
> in my own software I did a survey of a bunch of Mac apps and command-/
> came out as the consensus for "zoom window".  Most apps have no
> shortcut at all - that's also a possibility for IDLE.

Note though that Alt-F2 is not the normal zoom (which does whatever
the window manager does by default).  It is a special operation that
keeps the width of the window default (normally 80 columns) but makes
it maximal vertically.  This is useful to get an overview of a larger
piece of code.  (I have no use for code wider than 80 columns. :-)