[Idle-dev] Status of IDLEfork???

StephenM.Gava StephenM.Gava
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 18:54:40 +1000

Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:
> Where do we stand on IDLEfork? It seems like everything has come to a halt.

Hi Patrick.  No, IDLEfork has certainly not come to a halt although cvs
updates there are currently in a hiatus.

I should explain for starters that 'IDLEfork' is basically just me.  Although
there are still people who wished to be left on the developer list from the
earlier incarnation of the project, the only active developers were in fact
Kurt B. Kaiser and myself. After initially helping a lot with the latest
stable IDLE to IDLEfork merge (which I thank him for muchly!) Kurt went on a
sailing holliday and I haven't heard from him since, but I hope to when he
returns.

Since releasing a moderately broken tarball of that initial merge I've
written the new website and moved on to some of the other development work I
signed on for, which is mainly stuff in the user interface and
configurability area. After some initial hacking on the configuration ui (and
a couple of other minor issues) I reached the stage where it became
nescessary to completely rewrite IDLE's underlying configuration model and
mechanism (to support, among other things, the ability to write as well as
read the config programatically!)  which, after getting Guido's ideas on the
subject I began to do.  My work on that coincided with my daily work taking
me away from the office (and an internet connection) for a considerable time,
so that work still exists only on my laptop and besides isn't ready for prime
time yet.

The thing that really threw the spanner in the works has been a bit of a
tragedy on the presonal/family front that has taken all my attention away
from everthing else at the moment (after finishing my last contract I haven't
taken another yet in my daily work either).  I hope to settle things down
enough to return to some hacking on IDLEfork, among other things, some time
within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your interest in the project.

Regards,
Stephen M. Gava.
--
Stephen M. Gava  <elguavas@users.sourceforge.net>