[Idle-dev] Documentation on Unix/Linux

Bruce Sherwood bas@andrew.cmu.edu
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:34:31 -0400

In the discussion concerning documentation accessible from IDLE, I'm
curious about one aspect of the situation on Unix/Linux.

On Windows, the standard Python installer comes with a Doc directory, and
Doc\index.html takes you to the standard Python documentation which is
installed in the Doc directory.

In contrast, on Linux the standard Python installer does not include
documentation, and IDLE has a menu option that goes to the python.org web
site, not to locally stored documentation. (I believe that the standard Mac
Python installer also doesn't include documentation.)

To me, it would make sense for documentation to be included in the Linux
installer, to make a complete package, and the IDLE menu option would take
you to it. (This is a separate question from whether F1 takes you there, or
to info on IDLE itself, or to a list from which to choose.) IDLE
could/should check for the availability of a local copy of the
documentation and go there rather than to the web site. But it's not clear
to me whether there's a "standard" place for such documentation. Would it
be /usr/share/doc/python? You who are using Python on Linux, where do you
put the documentation? Or do you always go to the web site?

Bruce Sherwood

P.S. I just submitted a patch to idlefork in which I propose a more
generally valid way to reference the documentation on Windows.