[Idle-dev] Hide code? / Breakpoints with IDLE?

Edward K. Ream edream@tds.net
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 06:14:03 -0600

> Under Idle 0.8 (that shipped with Python 2.1) & Windows 2000.  I was able
> to set break points and they work (ie stop the program at the given line
> of code).  The same option is available in Idlefork (version 0.8.1).  The
> option is there, but I don't think it does anything (in Idlefork) since
> the color of the line does not change.
>
> In either version if you right click on a line of source code a menu
> appears with the single option "Set breakpoint here".  I imagine this
> must be similar to the Linux functionality.

Breakpoints do not seem to work for my app in Windows XP
and they have never seemed to work on 98 or Me either.  I did the
following in Idle 0.8, WinXP, Python 2.2.1:

import myApp
enable debugger
step
set several breakpoints (the lines turn color)
run (misses all breakpoints)

I also tried enabling the debugger before importing, with the same
result.

BTW, getting lines to change color only works if the debugger is
enabled, which isn't too surprising. In that case, it is proper to
disable the "set breakpoint" command, which isn't done.

Has anyone been able to use Idle with Win98, WinMe or WinXP?

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edream@tds.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines
Leo: http://personalpages.tds.net/~edream/front.html