[Idle-dev] idle-fork, cvs advice anyone?

StephenM.Gava StephenM.Gava
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:39:13 +1000

I'm in the process of trying to merge python/idle cvs into a branch of
idle-fork cvs, but my previous cvs experience hasn't included merging from
external sources and I want to make sure I'm going about this right.

>From reading as many cvs docs I as I could lay my hands on I've formed the
impression that best way to acheive the desired result would be to follow
these steps:

1. Tag the existing idlefork cvs pre branch point. (done)
2. Create idlefork cvs merging branch. (done, as "branch-python_idle_merging")
3. Export current python/idle cvs. (done)
4. Import python/idle cvs to idlefork cvs as a vendor branch. (maybe done,
after 3 tries,  with vendor tag "PYTHON_CVS_IDLE" and version tag
"IMPORT_1_1")
5. Merge python/cvs vendor branch into idlefork merge branch. (not done)
6. Merge idlefork merge branch back into idlefork trunk. (not done)

For starters. Are the above steps a sensible process to achieve the desired
result?  (This merge will need to be done from time to time, so I want to
have a good way of doing it right form the start.)

If what I've done so far makes sense, then I so far got stalled at step 4..
The first couple of times I tried it, attempting to follow the steps from the
cvs book and the Cerderdqvist, I ended up with idle/python imported into a
new top level directory in the pythonfork cvs, which definitely isn't the
desired effect (I probably shoudn't have rushed ahead and tried this at
2am...) . The third (see above) time I think I was successful, but I'm not
absolutely sure.

In any case, since then I've made one quick try to check out a merged copy of
the two relevant branches using "-j branch-python_idle_merging -j IMPORT_1_1"
, but the results were not what I expected at all, so I went to bed. In the
clear light of a new morning I thought I'd ask for advice on this before I
try to go any further.

TIA for any help. I realise I should probably take this question to a cvs
oriented forum, which I will do if noone here can help, but I just thought
I'd try here first in case someone listenning has done this kind of thing a
million times before.

Ciao, Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava