[Tutor] Re: [Edu-sig] RE: [Idle-dev] IDLE's save-before-run requirement

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:16:02 -0700

At 2:07 PM -0400 6/20/01, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>  > Lots of schools have iMacs and teaching Python would probably
>>  involve using IDLE on a Mac.  I tried this once.  My recollection
>>  is I didn't get the color-coding of key words.  Can anyone
>>  confirm/disconfirm this is a missing feature in Mac version?
>>  Perhaps I missed a toggle or something.
>>
>>  Kirby
>>  Python IDLE user
>
>Actually, IDLE on a Mac doesn't really work, because Tcl on a Mac
>doesn't really work.
>
>But MacPython comes with its own IDE, built by Just van Rossum (my
>brother) using the native Mac toolbox.

And he's a great help to the Mac Python community.

As Russell E Owen also pointed out today on PythonMac:

"Christopher Stern wrote a nice BBEdit Python language plugin, available from
<http://homepage.mac.com/christopherstern/>. That is the only one I know of.

Also, just for the record, the Pepper editor has Python syntax
coloring built in. I believe Alpha may, as well."

I don't know if the BBEdit plugin works on MacOS X; I haven't tried
either yet. (I've been using TextEdit for python mostly because I've
been to crushed with grad school work to bother downloading and
installing stuff)
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....