[Edu-sig] RE: [Idle-dev] IDLE "deemphasised"? Please not so...

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:06:40 -0400

> It seems to me that the VPython folk are the perfect ones to pick up the
> IDLE development reins.  They're actively working on IDLE already, have
> already implemented the autosave mentioned, as well as some others, and
> generally seem willing and interested.  I'm not sure what the reasoning is
> for keeping the VPython IDLE off in its own fork and not bringing it in as
> the official IDLE, since it is being actively developed.

I think it was that I wanted to keep control over the direction in
which IDLE was going.  The idle-fork SourceForge project was created
so they could do their development.  But I don't think much happened
there, and I haven't really done much except stifle IDLE development,
so I'm ready to relax my control.  I do have that subprocess-running
code which I would like to get worked into IDLE first though...