[Idle-dev] idle, python, and swig

Matthew Cheselka cheselka@theriver.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:30:46 -0700

Good morning,

Guido's suggestion that I update to python 2.1 did the trick as far as
the problem I was encountering with IDLE.

So now I'm to the point where I'm wanting to migrate some work I've done
in the Linux realm over to the Windows NT realm.  I'm primarily using
python as a GUI in this sense and doing all of my other more
data-processing intensive functions in C, compiled with SWIG, and then
imported into python and used in the usual way.

So I can now import my SWIG-generation stuff from within the python
code:

    import imgtrack

but when the python code calls a method from within 'imgtrack':

    imgtrack.get_img (....)

I get this error on the IDLE command line:

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\python21\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1285, in __call__
    return apply(self.func, args)
  File "C:\Python21\imgtrack\imgtrack.py", line 29, in get_img
    imgtrack.get_img (imgptr, IMG_HORZ, IMG_VERT)
AttributeError: 'imgtrack' module has no attribute 'get_img'

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I realize that this isn't exactly an
IDLE problem, but it does have to do with me undertanding how python
within windows interacts with home-made imported modules.

Thanks and Cheers,

Matt Cheselka