[Idle-dev] idle-fork, merging 2x SPE patches

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:39:55 -0400 (EDT)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > I wasn't thinking of XML-RPC to solve the security or performance
 > problems (although with expat, xmlrpclib seems to perform well!).  I
 > was thinking of using xmlrpclib rather than a home-grown RPC protocol.

  I'd still be suspicious, but I'm not familiar with either SPE patch,
so perhaps I'm over-estimating the frequency of round trips.  If
XML-RPC would be used to report things like call/return events to the
IDLE process, I'd expect the overhead to be excessive.  If it's only
to control breakpoints and the like, then it's probably fine, as the
frequency should be relatively low.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>