[Idle-dev] Remote execution for IDLE

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:55:08 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, David Scherer wrote:

[A lot of things, end gave as one of the reasons for something]
> ...if they opened their first IDLE window by double-clicking the
> IDLE icon, they should open a second window in the same way.

Let me just note (again) that I found it is very hard to deal with IDLE's
one-editor-per-toplevel-window philosophy. If I have the time, I'd like to
add multiple-editors-per-toplevel-window, and have, like in EMACS (only
switching terms from EMACS to browser terminology) two different commands:

- Open Frame (add an editor widget to a window)
- Open Window (add a new toplevel window with an editor widget)

Err...three different commands:

- Add Buffer (add a new buffer to the list of currently open buffers,
              hiding another buffer)
- Open Frame
- Open Window

Well, among the commands I want to add are:

- Switch Buffer
- Add Buffer
- Open Frame
- Open Window

So basically, the model is
-- lots of buffers, lots of windows, each window has lots of frames, and
   each frame can hold any buffer, except that one buffer cannot be shared
   among two frames.

But the most important one is frames.
However, since the LAF I really like is Gtk, I'd probably have to rewrite
IDLE in Gtk...well, something else to occupy my Copious Free Time(tm)
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html