[Idle-dev] IDLE "shell" (was: IDLE interpreter window)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 06:52:30 -0500

> On the long run, a seperate class for handling the user input might pay off.
> It could be some kind of state machine with knowledge on the position of the
> cursor, the bounds of the command line, the history and so on. This seems
> more natural to me than intercepting the input and throwing it away under
> certain circumstances. Furthermore, it would allow for easy adaption to
> different preferences (e.g. vi-like vs. readline- or Emacs-like
> "look-and-feel").

I agree that this would be better.  It means however that we will have
to somehow unbind *all* Tk's default bindings for the text widget, and
provide replacement bindings.  In the long run this may be our only
hope.  Thanks for speaking up!