[Idle-dev] IDLE and Jython

Mats Wichmann mats@laplaza.org
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:13:29 -0700

At 12:09 PM 12/20/2000 -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

 >On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Mats Wichmann wrote:
 >
 >> Have there been any thoughts on making an IDLE-like
 >> beast for Jython?
 >
 >Not that I'm aware of -- feel free to go ahead and do it, though!
 >
 >> Presumably all the Tk stuff that IDLE uses would have to be replaced
 >> with Java (which might be daunting enough), but would there be other
 >> issues?
 >
 >You could try to use the Java bindings to Tk that are floating around on
 >the JPython website.  There isn't terribly much abstract, toolkit
 >independant code packaged with IDLE, so if you're going to do it with
 >another toolkit it's probably going to be a different "product".

Hmmm, I'd missed that.  If I can manage any time at all I'll at
least take a look.  My frustration at beginning to play with
Jython as a way to inspect/test Java classes and /not/ having
IDLE available was what led to the question.  If there are any
other answers to that problem I'd be happy to take a look
(I don't speak Emacs, unfortunately, in case that's one).

 >PS: by the way -- the Tk code will have to be replaced with *AWT* or
 >*Swing*, not "Java"... (the confusion between Java's language (which is
 >passable) and Java's standard libarary (which is an unusable piece of
 >trash) is one of those sun-reinforced myths that life hard for developers
 >trying to advocate high-level languages)

Yes, I know.  My apologies for being imprecise... I suspect folks
got the gist of it, though.