[GSoC-general] GSoC 2022 frequently asked questions

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Mon Jan 17 19:38:56 EST 2022

Hey all!

Python intends to apply as a GSoC 2022 mentoring organization.  We're
working on updating our website and some of our backend systems in
preparation for the new season.

In case you haven't seen it, Google made a few changes this year.  You
can read all about them here:
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2021/11/expanding-google-summer-of-code-in-2022.html

The big ones are as follows:
1. GSoC will be open to anyone over 18 (you no longer have to be
enrolled in a post-secondary institution)
2. The projects will come in two sizes: 175 and 350 hours.
3. Some of the dates of the program are going to be be more flexible.
The non-flexible ones are listed here:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

It's going to be about a month before we've got most of our project
ideas and sub-orgs set up.  While we're preparing, here's a few
frequently asked questions:

How do I get started?
---------------------

Go to http://python-gsoc.org/index.html#gettingstarted and follow the
instructions there!

When will you have a full list of sub-orgs?

We should know *most* sub-orgs by February 21. Our list will likely be
complete by March 8th.

Where do I find the list of project ideas?

It will be at https://python-gsoc.org/ideas.html (we'll be accepting new
sub-orgs through Feburary).  Python is an "umbrella org" so you'll need
to click through each sub org to find the ideas related to that sub-org.

How do I choose a project?
--------------------------

See https://python-gsoc.org/contributors.html#choosing

How do I apply?
---------------

Read the instructions at https://python-gsoc.org/index.html#apply
Note that Google's application system doesn't open until March 7, so you
can't submit until after it opens.  All applications must go through
Google's system.

Note that we get a *lot* of emails here asking "how do I get started?"
so there's an auto-responder that sends that information directly to
anyone to asks, so the answer doesn't appear in the archives and
everyone doesn't get the same answer over and over again. So if you send
an email and it doesn't get an answer, check the website at
https://python-gsoc.org and see if your question has already been answered!

  Terri (GSoC org admit for Python)