[Grants-discuss] RE: Suggestions for Topics

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Sun Sep 19 07:41:40 CEST 2004

Thanks for the ideas, Clint.

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 23:24, crbidlack wrote:

> 1. InnoSetup python module
> Imagine a python module that allows one to create
> InnoSetup scripts and then runs the InnoSetup
> compiler. We have such scripts, but they are not
> general in nature. See http://www.jrsoftware.org/

> 2. MS MSI python module
> Same as 1. above but for MicroSoft MSI. There may be
> reasonable libraries for doing this already? I don't
> know since we use InnoSetup now.
>
> I've never heard of InnoSetup nor MS MSI before; I'll have to look into those tools.

3. Python UI test module
> You have a Python app with a UI written in wxPython
> (or other GUI API). Now, imagine being able to "drive"
> the app with Python code, effectively simulating user
> input. This would have at least two uses: 1) giving
> demos and 2) functional testing.

Ah, now this one is interesting, and related to something I'm playing
with.  I'm writing (and considering seeking a grant for) a Python
interface to the xrecord and xtest extensions of the X Window system,
such that Python scripts could listen to key and mouse movements of X
applications, and send such back to any desired applications.

I can see using it for testing/demos, but my need is for an
agent/assistant program that watches what I do and when, to produce a
billable work report.  I forget sometimes to write down when I start and
stop work on various projects, especially when I'm surfing the Internet.
;-)  I figure it might also eventually be made smart enough to offer
suggestions or anticipate things such as refreshing my inbox via
fetchmail when I sit down to start work.

Being hooked in at the X Window level means it'd work with wxPython and
other GUI APIs, although not non-X APIs such as MS Windows or Mac.

I don't know if this fits into a grant or not though.

-Jeff