[getopt-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Adopting Optik

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:40:27 -0500

> > I want to start working on an alpha release of Python 2.3.  I'd like
> > to be able to release 2.3a1 before Xmas.  PEP 283 has a list of things
> > to be done.  One of the tasks is to adopt Greg Ward's options parsing
> > module, Optik.  I propose to adopt this under the name "options".  Any
> > comments?
>
> What about the discussion in May 2002:
>     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/getopt-sig/2002-May/000191.html

Looking at the code, I think there are too many classes to speak about
a single dominant class; then the guideline becomes "use short,
lower-case module names".  Cute names are against Python's tradition IMO.

> Since some projects (for exmaple docutils) already started to use
> Optik it is becoming increasingly late for a name change.

The docutils author can speak for himself; I think docutils can deal
with the change.  It's also simple enough to add something like this:

try:
  from options import OptionParse
except ImportError:
  from optik import OptionParse