[getopt-sig] Option package requirements

Russ Cox rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:07:04 -0500

> IMHO it's of no use at all to specify an option processing package which
> ends up being unable to handle real-world requirements. Real programs have
> a whole bunch of usages, and I want my Python program to be able to
> emulate those other programs.

All of the examples you propose have non-standard behaviors,
introduce ambiguities, and only serve to confuse users.  There's
no good justification for any of the examples you present.
In _my_ HO, all of them are examples of bad design, and it
would not be such a bad thing if the standard Python option
parser made it very hard or impossible to emulate them.

Russ