[Flask] Displaying Chinese characters

CCP Dragonedge ccp at drsb.com.my
Fri Jun 5 05:31:36 EDT 2020

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Chinese characters? In my
code, I set a string to Chinese characters:

s = [some Chinese characters]

At first, Flask choked. So, at the very top of my code, I put:

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

That solved the problem. I could display the string in my templates by just
doing {{ s }}.

Here's the weird problem. If I write the Chinese characters directly in the
template, like so:

  <!-- this works -->

  <!-- this doesn't -->

The browser (Edge) displays the following error:

'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb5 in position 516: invalid start byte

I tried putting the following at in the HTML:

<head>
</head>

But that doesn't help. Why can Jinja decode it, but not the browser?

Thanks,