[Flask] Hmmm ... not feeling the love here ...

Adil Hasan paradox2005 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 04:09:50 EDT 2019

Hello,

I have written a few apps using Flask. For me where flask wins is in the
fact that it is minimal and is not opinionated.

I use Flask to write a REST API and then I write the front-end in
javascript and HTML. For a javascript library I tried Angular, but found
it difficult to use (could be I am not smart enough to use it) and the
migration from 1.x to 2.x disappointed me. I have dabbled with Aurelia
and am looking at Elm.

I have avoided using python to create HTML pages based on my experience
of trying to support a Java-based web application (unless you know Java
well modifying web front-ends generated by Java is not easy). I feel
that templates have limitations. So, for me Django is far too
heavyweight.

Slighty more heretical. I even avoid ORMs. I have found a config file
with simple SQL is much easier to maintain. I used this approach for a
project many years ago and provided the python code to some folks who
used it and updated it over something like 10 years. But, that's my
personal experience.

Of course, most of this is a matter of opinion and different people have
different viewpoints.

hth
adil