[Flask] Need pointers to general introduction to web frameworks

Michael Mossey michaelmossey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 03:14:22 EDT 2018

A few days ago a friend asked me to help build a Slack app in Python,
something that posts a message with buttons and a dialog. I found this
example:

https://github.com/slackapi/python-message-menu-example

(this example uses Flask as well as the Python slack API)

I'm a programmer, but don't have much web experience. I'm discovering that
there is a whole world I don't really understand, and it's kind of hard to
find an introduction to it, because everything seems to assume that I
already understand the basics.

If these are basic questions, don't feel a need to answer it completely,
but a few pointers as to what's going on and then where to look for more
would be appreciated.

First, I don't understand what role Flask plays in this example. Is Flask a
web server? Is it some kind of server that browsers contact and interact
with, even if not as full-featured as Apache? If not, what else is it? And
what is Flask doing in this Slack example?

I read in the Flask documentation that it's a "micro-framework," but I
don't know what a framework is. So I went here:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

and this is not much help, because it assumes I know what a "web
application" is, or "server side technology", or "AJAX." I also don't know
what "full stack" means.

Mike