[Flask] Handling web requests from blacklisted IP addresses?

Young,Spencer P spenceryoung at ufl.edu
Thu Apr 27 14:52:47 EDT 2017

These things are just going to happen.
If you blacklist an IP, I personally would offload that work to a firewall; just drop the traffic, no response. Don’t even let the requests hit the server, if possible. Others may opt to simply lockdown their more sensitive pages, like logins and downloads.
In the WordPress world, there’s a product called ‘Wordfence’ that uses an algorithm to rank the ‘maliciousness’ of an IP to update blocking rules accordingly. Worth looking into how it works.
Keep in mind, if you’re in an organization, it may be a vulnerability scanner probing internally. You may want to whitelist any vulnerability scanners.

Hope that helps,
-Spencer