[Flask] Interchange data with main python application

Nikolaus Neusser nik.neusser at gmx.de
Fri May 20 11:05:22 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm using flask for the first time and after trying quite a lot, i still fail. :-(
I am wondering what i am doing wrong and if flask is the right way to go at all.

My objective:
   - I have a main python application, which basically is based on a PySide (QT4) event loop. This runs a bigger
state machine and several other functions.
   - Now, i want to add a web interface which reads/sets parameters and displays a longer list of strings from the
main application (variable length) .

Where i am:
   - The simple flask examples from various tutorials work fine for me.
   - BUT: I cannot combine my main application with flask, i.e. i don't know how to interchange the data between my
main application and the flask route-functions.

What i tried:
   - running flask in a thread (QThread). Works fine for a simple example, i.e. deliver static html and react on
get-request
   - run flask in main thread. Doesn't work since some of my functions rely on the qt event loop
   - interchanging data between my main application and flask in the thread. I tried this using the qt signal/slot
mechanism.
     This doesn't work, because the signals which i have to define in the main application are not accessible
within the flask route-functions.

I really hope you can give me some good advice.
I can post code snippets if it helps for clarification.

Thanks a lot,