[Expat-discuss] Expat version compatibility

Nick MacDonald nickmacd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 16:08:44 CEST 2009

I don't have a definitive answer, nor offer any warranty with the one
I am about to provide, but here goes:

As I recall, the only changes from the version you have to the version
you propose that affect the ability of the code to build would be an
API change that changed a return value from line number reporting (if
memory serves) in an incompatible way.  If you made the change, its
possible some code would no longer build without a minor tweak if it
used the changed API.  I'm no expert on the use of eXpat with dynamic
linking, so I don't know if any current code that is linked would
break or not... but hopefully there is some explicit linkage to the
previous version, so nothing would break if already compilerd an you
didn't remove the old library.

The bigger question might be why you're considering the upgrade as
opposed to the risk...  I don't think much changed... so unless you're
trying to fix a specific problem... or have no problem with risking
becoming unsupported by RH, maybe wait until your OS is upgraded and
includes the newest version of eXpat...

That'll be 2 cents...  :-)
  Nick

--