[Expat-discuss] expat Memory Footprint?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue May 1 22:47:36 CEST 2007

Hi Steve,

"Steve Vernon" <stevencvernon at comcast.net> writes:

> I would like to know what is the starting size, then what "variables"
> it depends upon and what is the factor of expansion for each such
> variable.

I don't think anybody will be able to provide you with an exhaustive
list. I would imagine the only factor that can result in an serious
memory usage growth is the nesting of elements in your XML. But the
only sure way to find out is to try some real code on some real XML.

I did such measurements for XSD/e -- an XML parser generator for
embedded systems -- that uses Expat underneath. Thought you might
be interested:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/pipermail/xsde-users/2007-March/000002.html

hth,
-boris