[Expat-discuss] RFC: unitool -> universal toolchain instead of autoshit

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Dec 14 21:23:09 CET 2004

* Greg Stein <gstein at lyra.org> wrote:

Hi,

> The autoconf/libtool scripts work just fine for Expat. We dropped
> automake a long time (the worst of the bunch).
>
> I'm not sure how a switch would benefit Expat or its users.

Well, autoconf often enough does *not* work.

For example it doesn't pass -E to grep when using extendet regex,
which breaks with slightly older grep (2.4.x). This ends up in
configure thinking you dont have gnu ld and so refuses to build
an shared library.

Why the hell does an plain package, which ig. is platform
independent, have to cope with platform dependend toolchain
commands ?! Why can't there simply be *one* reliable command set
for *every platform* ?

And that's exactly where I want to do with unitool:
We have *one* package which encapsulates all platform
dependent commands behind some, well engineered and reliable
fontend interface and is ported *once* per platform. All those
common things like how to run several tools, what binfmt to use,
how to find certain imported packages, cope with crosscompile and
sysroot, etc, etc, are all hidden behind unitool.

Evrything unitool-based packages have to do is, to simply throw the
input files in front of unitool's feet and call it "build this stuff".

This also makes locating and fixing build problems much easier, ie.
the DESTDIR issue (remember: i posted a fix half a year ago ...) is
then simply irrelevant to expat developers, since unitool handles it,
and everyone knows how to instruct unitool.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481