[Expat-discuss] Re: A Newbie question (about reading from an input stream)

Henry Hsieh henry.hsieh@idsnet.com
Fri Jun 28 16:00:01 2002

It depends on what type of input stream you are getting your information.
If it's up to you, you can try using the name-pipe.  Here is a quick
description of it:

The named pipe behaves very much like an ordinary file, except that (copied
from http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Xmgr/doc/npipe.html check this web
page for more information)
1. Only one process can open the named pipe for writing, and only one
process can open the pipe for reading (at the same time),
2. Nothing is written to the disk but rather into some memory buffer,
3. If the listening end closes the pipe while the talking end has the pipe
still open for writing, the talking end gets a signal SIGPIPE if it tries to
write to the pipe. If we did not install a signal handler for SIGPIPE, the
talking end exits.

- Henry

>From: Vijay Naidu <Vijay.Naidu@adelphia.com>
>Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:52:17 -0400
>Subject: [Expat-discuss] A Newbie question.
>
>I have currently just started using Expat. I had a question as to whether
it
>was possible to read the XML document that I recieve as an input stream
from
>a client without having to write it to a file on the disk? If yes, how can
>achieve that. A short example would be of great help.
>
>Vijay Naidu
>System Analyst

Henry Hsieh
Integrated Decision Systems