Fw: [Expat-discuss] Extra character inserted in CharacterData Handler?

Karl Waclawek karl@waclawek.net
Fri Jun 14 19:32:01 2002

> The "." character in your file - 0xB7 - is invalid UTF-8.
> Maybe it is valid ISO-8859-1?
> In that case you must add an XML declaration.
>
> Actually, 1.95.3 should reject it (and it does so on my system).

Rolf Ade just pointed out to me that I didn't read your code.
You passed the ISO-8859-1 encoding to the parser, so there
was no error on your side.

However, what you reported looks exactly like what a word processor
would show you when it expects ISO-8859-1, but gets UTF-8 (tested with Wordpad).
Now, this would be a correct result, since Expat only passes UTF-8
or UTF-16 to its handlers, no matter what the input.

Karl