[EuroPython] Random Interview: John Pinner

info at pycon.it info at pycon.it
Tue May 24 13:03:09 CEST 2011

We have selected some speakers through random.choice() to be featured on the
EuroPython 2011 blog! We publish their short interviews twice a week until the
event. Today we introduce you John Pinner!

### What's your name and what do you do?

I'm John Pinner, working out of the UK on business and engineering software,
both desktop and web apps, using Python with some C.

### How did you start using Python?

I needed to replace a 4GL language I'd been using for years, I and my
customers had lots of data stored in its proprietary database, and when the
authors decided not to port their new GUI version to Linux we needed a way
forward. I decided to build a development system based on Python and PyQt,
with a C extension module interfacing with the database.

It proved to be a very good decision, our system now far exceeds the
capabilities of that produced by the original 4GL's authors, is cross-platform
and benefits from the 'batteries included' with Python.

### Name one Python feature you wouldn't live without.

The interactive interpreter. It really is 'your friend' when you need to find
out how things work.

### What is your talk/training about?

[Functional programming with Python][1].

### Tease us with one secret that will be revealed during your talk/training

What we can learn from BASIC and FORTRAN.

### Name another training that you wouldn't miss at EuroPython.

Raymond Hettinger's 'Advanced Python'. You cannot help learning many things
from any talk by Raymond.

### What would you tell someone who is still in doubt whether to register to
EuroPython or not?

Come, learn, make new friends, you won't regret it.

   [1]: http://ep2011.europython.eu/conference/talks/functional-programming-
with-python