[EuroPython] See the estimated attendance of each talk!

info at pycon.it info at pycon.it
Tue Jun 14 18:35:27 CEST 2011

If you go through the [ schedule][1] now, you can check how crowded each talk
is going to be.

If you see a warning sign next to a talk, it means that we expect that the
attendance of the talk will be higher than the room allows. If you were
planning to attend that talk, you might want to have an alternative ready in
case things go bad and you don't make it into the room.

We are doing this estimate through the number of "likes" each talk has
received (plus some complicated and uninteresting heuristics), so it is
updated in real-time as people go through the schedule and like/dislike talks.
We will revisit the heuristics to further tune them in the next days.

If you are really curious about the raw numbers, on each talk page you will
find the raw estimate of attendance. I believe most speakers will be very
curious about it... For instance, if you visit the page of [PyPy in
production][2] you can see that the current estimate of attendance is
currently 94 people. Not bad!

### Room changes and reschedules

The schedule was made taking in _full_ account the results of the community
voting. This means that we expect most of it to be sound with respect to room
sizes.

Nonetheless, we are ready to do last-minute changes to allow everybody enjoy
the talks they would like to follow. This basically means that:

  * In rare cases, we might decide to swap rooms at the last minute. If this
ever happens, staff members will help you reach the right room.

  * For trainings, we will ask trainers' availability for a reschedule (that
is, doing it again in the following days). We will clearly communicate these
reschedules so that if you miss it the first time, you might still make it to
the reschedule.

### Remember to like the talks!

Now it's the perfect time for you to go through the schedule and "like" the
talks you like most. Not only you will help refining the estimate of
attendance, but you will also end up with a nice [printable "My Schedule"][3]
to bring with you!

### Good EuroPythoneer's checklist

  * [Ticket][4]

  * [Hotel][5]

  * Travel

  * [Data/Tethering SIM][6]

  * [PyFiorentina][7] conference dinner reservation

  * Marked all talks I like in the [schedule][1] with the "like" button

  * Printed [my personalized schedule][3] listing all talks I like

  * Printed 5-10 paper copies of my CV for the [recruiting session][8]

  * Registered for the [sprints I want to join][9]

  * Preregistered for the [free wifi service][10]

  * Follow [@europython][11] on Twitter

  * Read EuroPython [blog][12]/[RSS][13]

  * Have fun with 650 programmers in Florence

   [1]: http://ep2011.europython.eu/p3/schedule/ep2011/

   [2]: http://ep2011.europython.eu/conference/talks/pypy-in-production

   [3]: http://ep2011.europython.eu/p3/my-schedule/

   [4]: http://ep2011.europython.eu/registration