[EuroPython] Getting there not by air

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Fri Jul 16 10:22:10 CEST 2010

Am 16.07.2010, 01:08 Uhr, schrieb anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I'd like to get to conference, but with round trip air flight from
> Belarus the participation
> price rises to a little bit more than 1500$ - too much for my budget.
> Can you point me
> to some railroad route planning sites to evaluate alternative ways?

Hi Anatoly,

you can probably plan a train journey using the German rail website - say
Minsk to Berlin which takes about 19 hours. Birmingham is probably another
10 hours by train from there (via Cologne and Brussels)

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

But that won't be cheap because of the channel tunnel trains. Might be
better getting to Poland and getting a coach. It looks like Bialystok -
London is a single route:

http://www.eurolinespolska.pl/index.php

> Speaking about alternatives, does anybody how long it could take to
> hitchhike through
> the Europe from Poland to UK these days? I hope that hitchhiking in
> Europe is not
> illegal like in U.S.

Hitchhiking is certainly legal but can take quite a while but it's
certainly something I'd not want to do in the current heat wave, from
which the UK has just escaped.

Good luck with your travels!

Charlie
--