[EuroPython] slides

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:41:23 CEST 2009

Hi,

2009/6/24 Russel Winder <russel.winder at concertant.com>

> John,
>
> From the outset let me say I am guilty, I have failed to be sufficiently
> organized to have my presentation materials finished by yesterday as
> originally planned.
>
> On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 13:28 +0100, John Pinner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > 2009/6/24 Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se>
> >         In a message of Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:07:55 BST, John Pinner
> >         writes:
> >         >--001636c5ab401cd223046d16f5ba
> >         >
> >         >Hi,
> >         >
> >         >2009/6/24 Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se>
> >         >
> >         >> I didn't know that I had to configure mailman specially to
> >         allow
> >         >> attatchemtns to be passed through.  I thought that was the
> >         default.
> >         >> If you have been having problems submitting your slides,
> >         please
> >         >> try again, I think I have it fixed now.
> >         >
> >         >
> >         >Well, I thought that they're *supposed* to be uploaded to the
> >         wiki  at
> >         >http://wiki.europython.eu/TalkMaterials
> >         >
> >         >It's going to very confusing if they're going into two
> >         different location
> >         >s,
> >         >especially for matti...
> >         >
> >         >John
> >

> >         I am sorry.  My fault.
> >         I didn't realise that that was where they were supposed to go.
> >
> >         The most common reason I a getting back for not having the
> >         slides
> >         is 'they are not ready'.  Some people are working on them
> >         today,
> >         though.
> >
> > Yes, matti has to have the DVD image to us by Thursday evening *at the
> > latest* (really, this time) if there is to be any chance of the DVDs
> > being available at EP.
> >
> I wonder if the Wiki is actually a better resource for these than a DVD.
>
> Given the inability of presenters (such as myself) to complete their
> slides before they travel to the conference, isn't having them on a
> website for people to download actually better than the hassle of
> writing a DVD.  I know I haven't put any conference disc in a machine
> for years.

matti has produced a disk with rather wider usefulness than just talks.

> ACCU has I believe stopped doing conference discs for exactly this
> timing reason.

I'm not sure that this was the whole reason: an inability to get the act
together was at least equal (I offered to produce the disk at very short
leadtime).

ACCU still has not got many talk slides available, weeks after the
conference.

It seems that having a deadline for a CD/DVD may be the only way to get the
speakers to produce the goods. However well-intentioned people are, after
the conference we're all knackered and somehow it just doesn't get done.

We just need to manage the process better I think.

I think this year at EP we need to get the session chairs to insist that the
speakers give them their slides there and then, let's issue them all with
USB memory sticks.

> > So they have until tomorrow lunchtime, preferable earlier.
> >
> I'll try and finish mine tonight and upload but . . .  (reasons and
> excuses elided)

Thanks, Russel. looking forward to your talk!

John